Pages

.

Kielbasa, Pepper, Onion, and Potato Hash

Cooking on a camp out can be tricky, and when you live in the southwest, creating campfire meals is more difficult since burn bans are more the norm due to the droughts.

Cooking something healthy can be even trickier.  I'm always on the look out for healthy recipes that are easy to put together while camping.

I just tried this one and it was a home run!

Kielbasa, Pepper, Onion, and Potato Hash





INGREDIENTS

1 (14 ounce) package turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow, red or orange bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced (I substituted onion powder.)
3 small or 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced (I used hash brown potatoes.)
olive oil
salt and pepper


Stan the man and David helped me with this meal.  It was so hot out that night (our camper has an outdoor kitchen), and we were tired from being in the sun.  I found that we really enjoyed cooking together!  (Not always the case at home - ha ha!)

I chopped the peppers.


Stan the man prepared the kielbasa.


1.  In his cast iron skillet, David heated 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat.  He added the potatoes and seasoned with salt and pepper.  They were fried until golden brown and stirred a few times to ensure even browning.


2.  In a separate skillet, I browned the sliced kielbasa for about 5 minutes in 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat.


3.  Next, I removed the kielbasas from the pan and set aside.  I placed the peppers (and onion powder) into the skillet, seasoning them with a pinch of salt and pepper.  They were cooked for 5 minutes, or until soft.  I also stirred them occasionally.



3.  Add the cooked potatoes and kielbasa to the skillet with the onions and peppers and mix everything together.


This serves 4 people (which was fine for our camp out), but at home, I have to double this recipe.

Enjoy!

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment